Did you know that many preventive health services are covered by most health insurance policies at no cost to you? Waiting until you need to go to the doctor due to illness should be a thing of the past, practicing a healthy lifestyle and visiting the doctor for routine, preventive services is the key to a longer, healthier life.
When you become ill, you have no choice but to pay attention to your health. But, with free preventive services, like immunizations and yearly exams, you can get ahead of something that may have become catastrophic otherwise. Insurance companies want you to stay healthy, and in doing so, it keeps the cost of healthcare down.
Insurance carriers do have some age restrictions on some services, but overall, these preventive services are covered:
• Laboratory tests
• Procedures; i.e., Pap Test, Lung Cancer Screening (between ages 55 and 80), Screening Mammogram
• Examinations and Counseling; i.e., Physical Exam
• Laboratory tests; i.e., Iron Deficiency Anemia Screening, Diabetes Screening
• Breast feeding supplies and support; i.e., Breast Pump
• Examinations and Counseling; i.e., Well-child Visit
• Laboratory tests; i.e., Newborn Metabolic Screening (younger than age 1),
It may be beneficial to think of utilizing preventive services as a personal investment in your health future. In additional to practicing healthy living habits, like exercising and eating a well balanced diet, getting to the doctor on a regular basis will pay large dividends in your overall health as you age.
Source: Select Health